Community Project Funding Submissions
Appropriations Committee Community Project Funding Requests
- Project Name: New American Samoa Hospital Architectural Design and Planning
- Request Amount: $1,000,000
- Intended Recipient: American Samoa Government, Office of the Governor
- Full Street Address of the Intended Recipient: A.P. Lutali Executive Office Building, Pago Pago, AS 96799
- Signed Financial Disclosure Letter: Attached
- Explanation of the request (must include purpose and why it is a valuable use of taxpayer funds): AS has the highest rate of military enlistment of any U.S. state or territory. The local U.S. Army recruiting station in Pago Pago was ranked first in production out of the 85 Army recruiting stations and centers under the U.S. Army Recruiting Command. When veterans return home, there is limited treatment facilities on the island. Having to refer patients off-island is extremely costly, resulting in many patients being denied timely, off-island referrals for life-saving treatment simply because their disease carries a low survival rate. Constructing a new health care facility will help save lives and lower overall Federal and local government costs.